Thursday 17 February 2011

More music that moves me

I posted back in July about some songs that I love, looking especially at the lyrics. Well, it's time for another post about music, I think.

It seems I'm on a constant quest to find Christian music I really like; so much Contemporary Christian Music is either droning heavy rock or cheesy MOR, at least to my ears. However, here's a Christian album of true beauty and spiritual insight: Kansas by Jennifer Knapp.

Firstly, I'm a big fan of melodic folk-rock and a sucker for a great voice. But more than that, Kansas is packed full of poignant, inspiring, piercing lyrics. Here are a couple of my favourite songs off the album with a little sample of the lyrics underneath.

Martyrs and Thieves (not great audio, sorry)



A great fool in my life I have been
Have squandered 'til pallid and thin
Hung my head in shame and refused to take blame
For the darkness I know I've let win

So turn on the light and reveal all the glory, I am not afraid
To bare all my weakness, knowing in meekness I have a kingdom to gain


Undo Me



Abba Father, you must wonder why
More times than Peter I have denied
Three nails and a cross to prove
I owe my life eternally to you


And finally, congratulations from me to Laura Marling and Arcade Fire, who both won awards at the Brits the other day! Two of my favourite acts getting serious recognition for the greatness of their music. Happy listening!

No comments:

Post a Comment